The Boreal or Tengmalm's Owl is a small owl with no ear-tufts. Bobcats (predator) Food: mostly rabbits. The northern saw-whet owl (Aegolius acadicus) is a small owl native to North America. Spruce Grouse (prey) Food: insects, berries, spruse needles. The boreal owl is protected by state and federal laws. The first one reported nesting here was in 1978. The primary predators of adult and fledgling boreal owls are other owls and hawks. Scientific Classification Kingdom Animalia Phylum Chordata Class Aves Order Strigiformes Family Strigidae Genus Aegolius Scientific Name Aegolius funereus Quick Information Also known as Tengmalm’s owl, Richardson’s owl Description … Since 1982, 1224 female, 994 male, and 4158 fledgling Boreal Owls have been trapped and banded at 1135 occupied nests. What I would do if i had to surive in a boreal forest; Wolervines (predator) Food: small animals. Boreal Owls (Tengmalm’s owl in the Old World) occupy boreal and subalpine forests across the circumpolar world. Boreal Owl ~ Aegolius funereus Introduction. The species name funereus comes from the Latin word for funeral. The boreal owl prefers northern forests containing spruce, pine, and aspen. Population and management During 2013-2016 we deployed SM2+ Song Meters (Wildlife Acoustics, Inc., Maynard, Massachusetts, USA), placed in grids throughout the study area (Fig. Until the 1970s it was not known to breed anywhere south of Canada; recent explorations have shown that it is a resident in many mountain ranges in the western United States, nesting in forest at the highest elevations. Marten are the main predators of these owls. Synthesising the results of unique long-term studies of Boreal Owls, this book explores hunting modes, habitats and foods, prey interactions, mating and parental care, reproduction, dispersal, survival and mortality, population regulation and conservation in boreal forests. They are members of the typical owls group, as opposed to the barn owl grouping. More Resources General Information Saw-whets are often in danger of being preyed upon by larger owls and raptors. Habitat and range. Other owls, pine martens. Population cycles of voles are a limiting factor on boreal owls. Included in these are: Accipiter cooperi (Cooper's hawks), A. gentiles (northern goshawks), Buteo virginianus (great horned owls), Strix uralensis (Ural owls), and Strix aluco (tawny owls). Boreal owls are rarely seen in Minnesota. Synthesising the results of unique long-term studies of Boreal Owls, this book explores hunting modes, habitats and foods, prey interactions, mating and parental care, reproduction, dispersal, survival and mortality, population regulation and conservation in boreal forests. They are sometimes accidently caught in marten traps when the owls are attracted to shrews feeding on trapping bait in covey sets. Sometimes boreal owls store extra food in cold weather, then thaw it later by sitting on it. Nearly one-third (32%) of Boreal Owl nests were in natural cavities made by the Black Woodpecker; the remaining 68% were in 450 to 500 nest boxes moni-tored annually. Boreal Owl prey items are Bank Voles, shrews and birds. American Black Bear (predator) Food: 75% vegitaton 25% carcuses. In North America it is known as the Boreal Owl, named after the Greek god Boreas. Predators. They are nomadic throughout their range and are generally year-round residents, although, they may disperse, particularly the females, in years when food resources are scarce. They can be found in dense thickets or conifers, often at eye level, although they can also be found some 20 feet up. All of these predators hunt boreal owls … Boreal owls are small owls found throughout the Holarctic region. Saw-whet owls are one of the smallest owl species in North America. The pine marten Martes martes is one of the main potential predators of the pygmy owl’s nests in the boreal forest, even if the entrance hole diameter is small enough to prevent this predator from entering the cavity. A rather mysterious owl of dense northern woodlands. Snowshoe Hare (prey) Food: summer mainly grass in winter more woody vegatation. Except when calling at night in very early spring, it is easily overlooked.